When I have to pass an exam?
If you stay in Poland more than 185 days and you’ve legalized your stay, remember to exchange your driving licence for a Polish one.
What documents do I need?
– residence card (karta pobytu) or visa type D or residence permit;
– current driving licence translated into Polish by a certified translator. REMEMBER: being a EU-citizen doesn’t relieve you from the obligation to translate your licence;
– 1 photo (ID type);
– alternatively, a document confirming successful passing of the theoretical part of the state driving test.
Should I pass a driving test in Poland?
The obligation to pass the theoretical driving test in Poland does not apply to persons who are the citizens of the EU Member States, Switzerland and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) or citizens of the countries who have signed an international agreement with Poland exempting the citizens of a given country from the obligation to pass the driving test again in Poland. Currently, such an agreement is in force for the nationals of Taiwan.
Where I can exchange my driving licence?
If you’ve registered your address in Kraków an application for the driving licence can be filed at:
– Kraków City Hall: ul. Powstania Warszawskiego 10, ul. Wielicka 28a, ul. Osiedle Zgody 2,
– branches of the Kraków City Hall located in the Bronowice, Bonarka and Serenada shopping malls.
REMEMBER! A new document can be collected only at the Kraków City Hall: ul. Powstania Warszawskiego 10.
How much does it cost?
Administrative costs for a new driving licence is PLN 100.50. Additional costs related to the translation of documents may be added to this amount.
REMEMBER! Citizens of Ukraine are obliged to pay an additional fee of PLN113 to the account of the competent consulate of Ukraine in Poland.
Are there any penalties for not exchanging a driving licence?
If you do not exchange your driving licence for one valid in Poland, there are no financial penalties, but in the event of a road inspection, the police officer has the right to retain your invalid document, which means that you will not be able to drive until your driving licence is exchanged for a valid one.
REMEMBER! Polish is the official language of the government institutions. Many officials speak only this language. Therefore, it is worthwhile to have an interpreter with you or to arrange the matter through an attorney, which makes the procedures much easier and faster.